Foreign Language Policy
CENTER FOR ACADEMIC WRITING (CAW)
FOREIGN LANGUAGE POLICY
Registration and placement
- CAW offers foreign language courses in Hungarian, French, German, Italian, and Spanish. Classes are offered in all three terms of the academic year on the Budapest campus.
- Language courses are open to CEU students, alumni, faculty and staff members, as well as to visitors from outside of the university.
- As all administration for these classes is done in English. For that reason at least an intermediate level of English is required for applying to these courses.
- CEU students, faculty and staff members are required to register for foreign language courses in SITS the registration period.
- Visitors are required to register for foreign languages courses by either filling in the Enrolment Form in person in the CAW offices Nádor 15, 216 or 210, or electronically by downloading it from the relevant page and emailing it to email@example.com before the registration ends. Emailed registrations come to effect only once confirmed by the CAW Office.
- Once registration is closed, enrollment is only possible if places are available and the teacher of the group agrees to admit the new participant.
- It is mandatory to fill in a placement test for all non-beginner level courses unless the applicant took a course with us in the same language, one level lower in the previous term.
- In order to attend our courses, visitors have to provide us with all relevant data required on the Enrollment Form for Visitors, as well as a statement about us handling their data. With the help of this data a CEU Guest Card will be issued for them.
Language course fees
All CAW language courses are fee-paying.
Applicants can only start attending a foreign language course once they have paid the course fee.
Applicants who are allowed to join language courses after the end of the registration period are not eligible for any discount from their course fee.
The course fee must be paid either in cash at the CEU Cash Desk or via the CEU Online Payment System by the end of the registration period in HUF. When paying in cash, participants are asked to present a SITS printout of their courses, containing the foreign language course they wish to pay for or the Enrollment Form stamped by CAW. When paying online, participants are asked to indicate their course title, level and group number in the comment section.
Running and cancelling language courses
- As a rule, language courses run if at least 6 participants have enrolled in them and have paid the course fee by the end of the registration period. Hungarian beginner courses can only run if at least 8 people have enrolled in and paid for them. The maximum student number per group is 15.
- If the registration rate is too low to run a language course, it will be cancelled in that term. In these cases, the course fee will be reimbursed at the CEU Cash Desk upon presenting the receipt of payment or by bank transfer upon request.
Dropping language courses
- Participants can drop a language course until the last day of the registration period. Before that date, the course fee that was already paid will be reimbursed. However, once the course starts, we are unable to reimburse the course fee under any circumstances (be it illness or unexpected changes in the schedule).
- If members of the CEU community fail to drop a foreign language course in time (within the registration period) in Infosys, or stop attending the course, they will receive an AF or a W at the end of the course. In order to prevent that, once they have paid the course fee, they can turn to the Student Records Office and ask them to drop the course upon paying the late drop fee of 5000 HUF.
Successful language course completion requirements
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants cannot miss more than 3 sessions in the Fall and Winter terms and 2 sessions in the Spring term.
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants are required to take a written or an oral test at the end of the term.