CENTER FOR ACADEMIC WRITING (CAW)
FOREIGN LANGUAGE POLICY
REGISTRATION AND PLACEMENT
- CAW offers foreign language courses in German, French, Spanish, Hungarian and other modern languages upon request. Most courses are taught online and a few courses are taught onsite in Vienna.
- Online language courses are open to CEU students, faculty, staff members, alumni and visitors. Onsite language courses are only open tu students, faculty and staff members.
- CEU students, faculty and staff members are required to register for foreign language courses in SITS during the registration period. If you do not have a student account for SITS with which you could register for our courses, please write to email@example.com and request one. Once your have received the access, you will be able to register for CAW language courses. (Please note that the student accounts or valid for one academic year only and have to be requested again if you continue studying with us for longer than an academic year.)
If you are an alumn of CEU, a researcher or a visitor, you are asked to register using the Enrollment Form for registration.
- Once registration is closed, enrollment is no longer possible, only in very exceptional cases when the group is at the minimum number. If the teacher is agreeable to taking in a new student, they can join the group up to two missed classes at the latest.
LANGUAGE COURSE FEES
- All CAW language courses are fee-paying.
- Participants can only start attending a foreign language course once they have paid the course fee.
- Participants who are allowed to join language courses after the end of the registration period are not eligible for any discount from their course fee.
- The course fee must be paid at the CEU Online Payment System by the end of the registration period in EUR. When paying, participants are asked to indicate their course title, level and group number in the comment section.
RUNNING AND CACELLING LANGUAGE COURSES
- As a rule, online language courses run if at least 7 participants have enrolled in them and have paid the course fee (8 for German beginner courses) by the end of the registration period. Onsite language courses run if at least 10 participants enrolled in them and have paid the course fee. The maximum student number per group is 15.
- If the registration rate is too low to run a language course, it will be cancelled in that term. In these cases, the course fee will be reimbursed by bank transfer.
DROPPING LANGUAGE COURSES
- Participants can drop a language course until the last day of the registration period. Up to that point, the course fee that was already paid will be reimbursed. However, once the course starts, we are unable to reimburse the course fee under any circumstances (be it illness or unexpected changes in the schedule).
- If members of the CEU community fail to drop a foreign language course in time (within the registration period), or stop attending the course, they will receive an AF or a W at the end of the course. In order to prevent that, once they paid the course fee, they can turn to the Student Records Office and ask them to drop the course upon paying the late drop fee of 15 EUR.
SUCCESSFUL LANGUAGE COURSE COMPLETION REQUIREMENTS
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants cannot miss more than 3 sessions in the Fall and Winter terms and 2 sessions in the Spring term.
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants are required to take and pass a written test at the end of the term. In case the test is not taken and passed at all, course participants receive a W at the end.