Both the teaching of writing and the use of written assignments to foster learning have largely been neglected in most countries in the region. Since 1999, the Center for Academic Writing has provided a range of consultancy and training projects for the development of writing and writing teaching in the region of Central and Eastern Europe and beyond. As an integral part of CEU's mission, we seek to help universities to raise awareness of academic writing and train local teachers and researchers so as to improve the quality of writing, both in English and in local languages in the region.
For institutions in Central and Eastern Europe and the CIS, the CEU Special and Extensions Program may provide funding if your institution is interested in a training course or consultancy visit. For more information, contact the Center for Academic Writing at email@example.com
If you would like to visit the Writing Center, please complete our brief questionnaire and send it back to us at the address above.
Academic Writing Courses for PhD Students and Research Faculty
We teach advanced research writing for non-native English speakers who are PhD students and junior faculty. The courses cover key issues such as familiarity with conventions of published genres and effective use of sources in argumentation. Normally these courses last between three days and one week.
Our most popular courses are those training PhD students and junior faculty how to do advanced research writing in English. The courses cover key issues such as familiarity with conventions of published genres and effective use of sources in argumentation. Normally these courses last between three days and one week.
- OSI Central Asia Research and Training Initiative, Budapest, 2014
- EDUWORKS, Sopron, Summer Course, ‘Academic Writing Workshops’ for researchers, 2014
- European University Institute, Fiesole Florence, 2013
- OSI Central Asia Research and Training Initiative, Akbul, Turkey 2012
- OSI Central Asia Research and Training Initiative, Akbul, Turkey 2011
- Publication Workshop, Warsaw University, Department of Economics, 2011
- Corvinus University, Budapest PhD course for Political Scientists and Economists 2011
- The QED Group (affiliated with Charles University), Prague, 2011
- Corvinus PhD course for Political Scientists 2010
- Max Planck Institute, Freiburg, Germany, 2010
- OSI Central Asia Research and Training Initiative, Budapest, 2009
- REVACERN/University of Szeged, 2009
- Max Planck Institute, Freiburg, Germany, 2009
- Max Planck Institute, Halle, Germany, 2008
- OSI/CARTI Budapest, Hungary, 2007
- Estonian Academy of Arts, Tallinn, Estonia, 2007
- OSI/HESP Regional Seminar for Excellence in Teaching, Crimea, Ukraine, 2007
- Moscow State University, Russia, 2006
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2004
- University of Rostov on Don, Russia, 2000
Training Courses for Social Sciences Faculty
We teach writing-across-the-curriculum courses to train social science faculty to use writing in their own teaching, both in English and in other languages. These courses focus on the role of writing as a learning and an assessment tool and the connection between writing and course goals.
- The Academy of Sciences, Budapest ‘Getting Published’, intensive course in academic writing for professional researchers, 2016, 2015
- Romanian American University, Bucharest, 2012
- OSI Central Asia and Caucasus Research and Training Initiative, Akbuk, Turkey, 2011, 2012
- OSI Faculty Development Program, Istanbul, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- Azerbaijan University of Languages, Baku, 2006, 2007
- Tbilisi State University, Georgia, 2003, 2004, 2007
- America University of Kyrgyzstan, Bishkek, 2002
Training Courses for Teachers of Academic Writing
We have run many courses training teachers of English to teach academic writing in university settings, moving away from English language teaching and towards teaching writing as a life skill. The objective of the course is to equip local teachers with the skills to teach writing to their students.
- Humboldt University, Language Centre, Berlin, 2013
- University of Olomouc, Czech Republic, 2012
- Karaganda Bolashak University, Kazakhstan, 2012
- IDER University, Mongolia, 2011
- Brusov University, Yerevan, Armenia, 2005
- Klaipeda, Lithuania,2003, 2004
- State University of Languages, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2002
- Novi Sad University, Yugoslavia, 2001
- Samara University, Russia, 1999, 2001
- University of Prishtina, Kosova, 2000
Courses for MA students
- Corvinus University, Budapest – Lecturer on the Masters course Trainer in English for Business, special further training degree programme, 2017, 2016
- Mathias Corvinus Kollégium, Hungary, 2012 fall semester
Access Programs for University Study
- Pyongyang, North Korea, 2006
- Ramallah, West Bank, 2006
We have also provided consultancy visits to help universities to evaluate and rethink their existing writing support programs.
- Economics PhD English Writing Support Progamme, CERGE-EI, Prague, 2010
- Undergraduate Composition Program, American University in Bulgaria, 2011