Foreign Language Policy
CENTER FOR ACADEMIC WRITING (CAW)
FOREIGN LANGUAGE POLICY
REGISTRATION AND PLACEMENT
- CAW offers foreign language courses in German, French and Hungarian in the winter term of 2020-21. All courses are taught online.
- Language courses are open to CEU students, faculty and staff members.
- CEU students, faculty and staff members are required to register for foreign language courses in SITS the registration period from the winter term on. If you do not have a student account for SITS with which you could register for one our courses, please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and request one. Once your have received the access, you will be able to register for CAW language courses.
- Once registration is closed, enrollment is only possible if places are available and the teacher of the group agrees to admit the new participant.
Language course fees
All CAW language courses are fee-paying.
Applicants can only start attending a foreign language course once they have paid the course fee.
Applicants who are allowed to join language courses after the end of the registration period are not eligible for any discount from their course fee.
The course fee must be paid via the CEU Online Payment System by the end of the registration period in EUR. When paying, participants are asked to indicate their course title, level and group number in the comment section.
RUNNING AND CANCELLING LANGUAGE COURSES
- As a rule, language courses run if at least 6 participants have enrolled in them and have paid the course fee by the end of the registration period. The maximum student number per group is 15.
- If the registration rate is too low to run a language course, it will be cancelled in that term. In these cases, the course fee will be reimbursed at the CEU Cash Desk upon presenting the receipt of payment or by bank transfer upon request.
Dropping language courses
- Participants can drop a language course until the last day of the registration period. Before that date, the course fee that was already paid will be reimbursed. However, once the course starts, we are unable to reimburse the course fee under any circumstances (be it illness or unexpected changes in the schedule).
- If members of the CEU community fail to drop a foreign language course in time (within the registration period), or stop attending the course, they will receive an AF or a W at the end of the course. In order to prevent that, once they have paid the course fee, they can turn to the Student Records Office and ask them to drop the course upon paying the late drop fee of 15 EUR.
Successful language course completion requirements
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants cannot miss more than 3 sessions in the Fall and Winter terms and 2 sessions in the Spring term.
- For the successful completion of a language course, participants are required to take a written or an oral test at the end of the term.